Friday, March 25, 2011

Change of Profession


                For the past two weeks we have been loaning our SanteBus to J/P HRO while we still are trying to repair one of theirs. Greg has been driving and going on hospital transfers and helping out with the relocation process by bringing families to their new homes. At first I wasn’t sure what help I would be since I am not a doctor and I don’t drive. I eventually started helping at the pharmacy. At first I was just writing labels all day. I did about 400 or 500 one day. Slowly I started to help the ladies who where working in the pharmacy fill the prescriptions and by the 4th day I was taking the prescriptions and filling them all on my own. I couldn’t explain to the patients how often to take the medication but I could write it on the bags we would hand out, so after I would fill them I would hand them over to one of the ladies who would then explain it to the patients. Finally though the head lady told me if I could write it in French I could also explain it in French. I wasn’t so confident doing it on my own so I always had one of the ladies tell it to me before I told the patients. I’m sure after a few more days I will be able to explain it to the patients on my own. 

            One of the first days we started to loan our SanteBus to J/P HRO they had an emergency transfer at 8pm. The truck they usually take for the transfers had an expired registration and one of the other cars had no gas in it so they called us. Greg and I went up and as we were waiting to leave there was a woman giving birth and before we left she had delivered the baby. We took 2 women down to a maternity hospital near the airport. One woman was 3 months pregnant and was bleeding and the other woman was clearly about to give birth. When we walked into the hospital with the women you could hear screams and grunts from other women giving birth. There were cries from newborns and some women were sitting outside of the delivery room waiting for an open table to give birth on. The hospital conditions are no where near ideal but they are better than giving birth on the floor of a tent with no help.  

No comments:

Post a Comment